Stanford says employee who killed himself hadn’t been fired

Princeton Lacy-Moore embraces his daughter Ma’at. Photo by Monik Gordon, his partner and the baby’s mother.
Princeton Lacy-Moore embraces his daughter Ma’at. Photo by Monik Gordon, his partner and the baby’s mother.

This story originally appeared in Saturday’s print edition of the Daily Post. Most of the stories the Post prints aren’t posted on this website. If you want all of the local stories covered by the Post, pick up a copy every morning at 1,000 Mid-Peninsula locations.

Daily Post Staff Writer

Stanford said Friday (Nov. 6) that an employee who killed himself the day after a meeting with his boss had received positive feedback during the meeting.

Princeton Lacy Moore, 35, shot himself in the head on Nov. 21, according to a Santa Clara County Medical Examiner. Lacy Moore worked as a computing support analyst at Stanford since April 2014.

Lacy Moore had been having trouble with a new supervisor who he said harassed him at work, according to his partner of 11 years, Monik Gordon.

Gordon said the supervisor had been saying he was doing things wrong even though he was working the same way he had for years before. He told Gordon he thought the woman wanted to get rid of him and was targeting him because of his race.

The day before he committed suicide, on Nov. 20, Lacy Moore had a meeting with his boss. Gordon said Stanford won’t tell her what happened during that meeting.

Stanford spokesman Brad Hayward said in an email to the Post that the university had not received any complaints or concerns from Lacy Moore about potential discrimination.

Hayward would not provide details about what happened in the meeting, but said Lacy Moore hadn’t been fired.

“While the university isn’t able to discuss details of personnel matters involving individuals, Princeton was a continuing regular employee and his employment had not been terminated,” said Hayward. “We understand that the meeting that occurred the day before his death was one in which he received positive feedback.”

Hayward said Stanford is grieving the loss of a member of its community.

Gordon told the Post on Thursday (Dec. 5) that she was afraid Stanford would force her onto the streets with her three young children. The couple had been living at Stanford West for four years. Gordon said she and her uncle went to the Stanford West leasing office on Nov. 25 to discuss their situation. She said she offered to pay the next month’s rent early, but was told she couldn’t pay the rent because she’s not a Stanford employee and isn’t on the lease.

Gordon said she and her uncle asked Stanford if the university could connect them with any affordable housing programs or emergency shelter programs, but they hadn’t heard anything back as of Thursday.

“I can’t grieve because I have to worry about this,” she said. “Holidays are coming and I have to worry about this.”

Stanford to help family

Gordon said her uncle called Stanford earlier this week and was told that Gordon had to leave within 30 days. He was also told that her rent was late even though the university had told her she couldn’t pay the rent.

On Wednesday, Gordon said she put her rent in an envelope and stuffed it in the leasing office drop box after hours so that they couldn’t turn the money down and use it as an excuse to kick her out. On Thursday, she took her kids out in the rain to put all of their names on a homeless shelter waiting list so that they would have a place to stay in case Stanford kicked them out.

Hayward said Friday that the university will help Gordon.

“We were deeply saddened to learn of Princeton’s death,” he said. “We are aware of the housing situation and are investigating options for possible solutions.”

Gordon did not respond to a question on Friday about whether Stanford has reached out to her.

Gordon said Lacy Moore, who grew up in East Palo Alto and attended Menlo-Atherton High School, was a good father and partner and the sort of thoughtful, goofy person that everyone wanted as a friend.

A memorial page has been set up for Lacy Moore as well as a GoFundMe account for his family. As of Sunday night, people had contributed $26,401 to the account.

Lacy Moore is survived by Gordon, their children — Jeovan, Ma’at and Ptah, sister Amenta Winters and mother Zuri Moore.

A celebration of his life will be held Dec. 21 at 1 p.m. to 4 p.m. at the Wo’se Community Church at 8924 Holly St. in Oakland. Attendees are asked to bring a dish, dessert or drinks.

Help for those in a crisis

There are many resources available to anyone in crisis, including the National Suicide Hotline at (800) 784-2433, the Santa Clara County Suicide and Crisis Hotline at (855) 278-4204 and the Crisis Text Line (text HOME to 741741). All three services are free, confidential and available 24/7.


  1. Talk about a straw man. Princeton’s widow never said he was fired, so why is Stanford saying this? We may never get the truth about why he took his life if Stanford goes to his boss and tells her to deny she spoke harshly to Princeton. Hopefully Stanford will help his widow and their children find housing. I guess they won’t be eligible for any life insurance benefits since he took his own life.

  2. I feel like the University has the means of helping the family not be homeless. They should be allowed to stay at there home for 6 months if they can pay the rent, to allow them to grieve and look for new housing. This is bad PR, something Stanford has had more than it’s fair share of the last few years

Comments are closed.