BY DAVE PRICE
Daily Post Editor
It’s that time of year when newspapers look back at the top stories of the year. But we’re taking a different approach. Instead of repeating the news you’ve already read, the following is a quiz to see how much you remember. The answers are at the end.
1. Palo Alto City Council decided to start charging fees to enter this park:
a. Mitchell Park
b. Yellowstone Park
c. Foothills Park
d. Arastradero Preserve
2. This Palo Alto City Councilman announced he’s running for Rep. Anna Eshoo’s seat in Congress:
a. Pat Burt
b. Liz Kniss
c. Greg Tanaka
d. Lydia Kou
3. Notre Dame de Namur in Belmont was acquired by:
c. The University of Notre Dame in South Bend, Ind.
d. The College of San Mateo
4. In October, Los Altos made the news when the following was found in an elderly man’s bedroom:
a. A lady of the night
b. A World War I grenade
c. A missing TV remote
d. A rare putting iron
5. In 2021, the U.S. Supreme Court told Santa Clara County twice that:
a. It can’t ban religious services because of the pandemic
b. It had to recalculate pension benefits for police
c. Highway 101 was built in the wrong place
d. It could not ban drinking straws in restaurants
6. In February, Rep. Anna Eshoo, D-Palo Alto, sent letters to cable TV companies and internet companies that provide television asking why they:
a. Stopped airing “Hee-Haw” reruns
b. Allow sex and violence
c. Carry conservative stations such as Fox News Channel, One America News and Newsmax
d. Increase the volume when commercials begin
7. A suspected Chinese spy, Chen Song, was arrested at:
8. East Palo Alto City Council is considering a proposal that would add what to Cooley Landing:
a. An office complex
b. A hazardous waste dump
c. An amusement park
d. A soccer stadium
9. Palo Alto’s Garden Court Hotel at 520 Cowper St. downtown got a new name in 2021. It’s now known as:
a. Holiday Inn
b. El Prado
d. Glass Slipper Downtown
10. The state Department of Alcoholic Beverage Control pulled the liquor license of Ernie’s Liquors at 3870 El Camino Real in February because, allegedly, they were:
a. Charging too much for vodka
b. Selling alcohol to minors
c. Selling foreign beer without a permit
d. Delivering orders to customers because of the pandemic
11. What will replace The Record Man at 1322 El Camino Real in Redwood City?
a. A recording studio
c. A motel
d. The new Redwood City History Museum
12. What was the outcome of the town of Hillsborough’s lawsuit against Florence Fang, owner of the famed Flintstone House?
a. She can keep the dinosaurs and Flintstone characters.
b. She was forced to remove all traces of the Flintstones in order to conform with zoning codes and copyright law.
c. Fred and Wilma can stay but Barney and Betty will have to go.
d. She was required to add the Great Gazoo.
13. This Silicon Valley technology pioneer in June was found dead in a Spanish prison.
a. John McAfee
b. Steve Wozniak
c. Elizabeth Holmes
d. Gavin Belson
14. On July 1, a Post journalist found the following in the Webster/Cowper parking structure in downtown Palo Alto?
a. A home-made bowling alley
b. Tents put up by homeless people and even a kitchen
c. A 1933 Aston Martin Le Mans sports car
d. A discarded Covid mask
15. Mountain View’s Frankie, Johnnie and Luigi Too at 939 El Camino Real closed. The property will be redeveloped and the restaurant will reopen. But what else will be in the new building?
a. Office space
b. Apartments for people with Alzheimer’s and other memory problems
c. A police station
d. A massage parlor
16. Palo Alto Police Officer Chris Moore retired in August and wrote a scathing letter attacking the department’s leadership for being incompetent and out of touch. What picture did he use to illustrate his letter?
a. J. Edgar Hoover in a dress and high heels
b. A photo of Sponge Bob Square Pants
c. The Titanic
d. Jack Webb as Joe Friday
17. In October, Elon Musk made this decision involving Palo Alto:
a. He was reopening Antonio’s Nut House
b. He would have his tunnel-boring company put Caltrain underground
c. He was moving Tesla’s headquarters from Palo Alto’s Stanford Research Park to Austin, Texas
d. He was buying Stanford University
18. In November, Palo Alto school Superintendent Don Austin floated this idea to beef up enrollment at Fletcher Middle School:
a. A lottery
b. Free ice cream every Friday for students
c. Eliminating grades
d. Putting a Golden Ticket in one hot lunch every day
19. This Congresswoman announced in November that she would retire at the end of her term:
a. Anna Eshoo
b. Nancy Pelosi
c. Jackie Speier
d. Zoe Lofgren
20. In November, a mechanical malfunction caused a pilot to land his single-engine plane where?
a. Gunn High School’s football field
b. El Camino Real
c. Facebook’s parking lot
d. A Woodside horse pasture