Officers who shot and killed a man in Redwood City identified

Marcos Carlos was shot and killed by police in Redwood City after he fired a gun at them.

Daily Post Staff Writer

The names of the officers who shot at and killed a man after he fired at them outside a Redwood City Wells Fargo were released yesterday.

Eight officers — seven from Redwood City and one San Mateo County Sheriff’s deputy — fired about 20 shots at Marcos Antonio Carlos, 31, on Dec. 30. The officers from Redwood City are:

• Sgt. Nick Perna

• Sgt. Ed Conover

• Officer Junsun Lee

• Officer Richard Santiago

• Officer Marl Alifano

• Officer Dave Denning

• Officer Ryan Kimber

Deputy Daniel Chiu was the sheriff’s deputy who fired at Carlos. Chiu has been employed with the sheriff’s office since 2013, said Detective Sal Zuno, sheriff’s spokesman. Information about how long the Redwood City officers have been employed was not available yesterday (Jan. 17).

The officers responded to a 911 call from a woman at 2:25 p.m. Dec. 30. She reported that a man was holding a black handgun and pacing back and forth in front of the ATMs at the Wells Fargo Bank at 1900 Broadway, according to a statement from Redwood City police.

Carlos did not respond to the officers’ attempts to have him surrender, and then he fired at least one shot toward the officers, according to San Mateo County District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe, whose office is investigating the shooting.

Carlos was from Redwood City and one of the officers who responded to the call knew Carlos, Wagstaffe said.

The officer and Carlos were on a firstname basis, and the officer tried talking Carlos down before Carlos fired a shot at the officers.

All eight of the officers have been placed on paid administrative leave while the shooting is investigated by Wagstaffe’s office. The investigation is expected to take eight to 10 weeks.

There is no body-cam footage of the shooting because Redwood City police don’t yet have body cameras.

But there was video from a dashboard-mounted camera in the car of a sheriff’s deputy who responded to the call, Kirby said.

Two witnesses also captured at least part of the interaction between police and the man on their phones, Wagstaffe said.