Now that the all clear has been given, when do the lights come on?

A helicopter drops water near power lines and electrical towers while working at a fire on San Bruno Mountain near Brisbane on Thursday (Oct. 10). AP photo by Jeff Chiu.

Daily Post Staff Writer

The crisis that forced PG&E to cut power to the hills west of Interstate 280 is over, but it may take days for crews to restore power.

The power was cut Wednesday night because PG&E was worried that forecast winds could topple power lines and start fires.

Now crews have to check the transmission lines to make sure they weren’t damaged before turning on the power again.

About 50 customers of Palo Alto Utilities lost power because the city obtains their power through PG&E lines.

Last night, the city said it had found no problems along its lines, and city utilities employees were working with PG&E to restore power to those 50 customers.

It’s not known when the power will return for those in San Mateo County, as PG&E crews are checking power lines in each of the affected areas using low-flying helicopters and crews on the ground.

People could be without power until Tuesday, or could get it back as soon as today, according to statements from PG&E.

Charging stations

For folks without power, Woodside Fire will have space for people to use the internet, cellphones, watch the news and charge devices at Station 19 at 4091 Jefferson Ave. in Redwood City from 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.

The Portola Valley Town Hall at 765 Portola Road will have charging stations available to people. However, there is no internet at Town Hall, according to a message sent out to residents.

PG&E shut off power to wooded areas of the mid-Peninsula sometime after 11 p.m. on Wednesday, fearing that powerful winds and dry weather conditions would be conducive to fast-moving wildfires, such as the ones that devastated the North Bay and Paradise.

Brush fire erupts

Meanwhile, a brush fire erupted on San Bruno Mountain yesterday (Oct. 10) and grew to 11 acres. Fire crews were planning to remain on the scene overnight to stop the blaze from growing.

The fire began at 10:55 a.m. in the Guadalupe Canyon area of the mountain.

At about noon, the city of Brisbane used its Twitter account to announce that voluntary evacuations were issued for Humboldt Road, Kings Road, Margaret Avenue, Paul Avenue and San Mateo Lane. Those evacuations, however, were lifted later in the day, city officials said.

Still, residents nearby are being advised to keep home emergency kits available and to prepare to evacuate their homes if needed.

Last night, Cal Fire reported that forward progress on the fire had been stopped, but firefighters were continuing to battle the blaze through the evening. It was only 60% contained.

— Bay City News contributed to this report