Two people died in an apartment fire in Menlo Park early Sunday morning.
The Menlo Park Fire District said it responded to a reported house fire at 3:17 a.m. at 1017 Madera Ave.
Firefighters saw light haze of smoke coming from two broken living room windows from the two-bedroom unit. Neighbors had used extinguishers and a garden hose to try extinguishing the fire from outside.
Crews forced their way through the front door and extinguished a small smoldering fire in the living room while two other crews performed search and rescue operations.
Through heavy smoke, firefighters found two victims on the floor in the back bedroom. One victim died from burns and smoke inhalation. Another victim was rushef to Stanford Hospital.
Two dogs also died in the fire.
The cause hasnt’t been determined.