BY EMILY MIBACH
Daily Post Staff Writer
After six years, a Redwood City man will stand trial for allegedly stabbing another man to death over a cigarette as they listened to a Giants World Series game, a prosecutor said today (Nov. 23).
A prosecutor and Jake Monahan’s attorney said in court today that they are ready for the murder trial, which was assigned to Judge Elizabeth Lee.
Lee and the attorneys are expected to meet tomorrow (Nov. 24) to discuss the schedule for the trial. District Attorney Steve Wagstaffe said he anticipates the lawyers will be making their opening arguments in January.
In the meantime, the attorneys will meet with Lee about the specifics of the case, select a jury and the court will be closed due to the holidays.
Monahan, 30, has been in custody ever since the Oct. 28, 2014, stabbing of Michael Stent, but the case has been delayed because of questions regarding Monahan’s mental competency.
On Aug. 15, 2016, Monahan was found not mentally fit to stand trial after he refused to meet with anyone regarding the case that would require him to leave his jail cell since September 2015.
Monahan was sent to Napa State Hospital and was there until 2018, since then the case has seen a series of delays.
Monahan, who is a transient, was listening to the broadcast of a Giants World Series game on Oct. 28, 2014, in Courthouse Square in Redwood City when he asked another man, 32-year-old Stent, for a cigarette, according to authorities.
Stent reportedly declined and the two got into a fight in which they threw chairs at each other. Monahan then allegedly stabbed Stent multiple times in the back and abdomen.
Monahan remains in jail and is not eligible for bail.